McDonald’s recall on Shrek item
McDonald’s is now facing a $15 million recall on Shrek drinking glasses that were tainted with toxic metal. McDonald’s is taking responsibility for the problem and is trying to remove the items quickly. They issued a voluntary recall on Friday.
The amount of the toxic metal does not exceed federal or state safety regulations and the risk to children is very low. So, why issue a recall at all?
McDonald’s calls it a “precautionary measure”. Also, the Consumer Product Safety Commission may change the standards for cadmium, and the glasses wouldn’t have passed. McDonald’s is protecting its reputation which has softened the blow of consumer anger. McDonald’s has shown a cool head in a a crisis, taken control, and will ultimately emerge on the other side unscathed.